Sunday, February 10, 2008

Singing My Heart Out!





I've never performed in a karaoke bar. I've never sung before any crowd...but let me tell you. I've never had so much fun playing Singstar on Playstation 2!! THAT's why I'm not online that much anymore...I actually have found other things to do and people to do them with. So, my homies, Ed, Linda & Lori and I sing every weekend and sometimes nights during the week. Okay, so we can't get enough of it! We'll concoct drinks, make or buy dinner (always healthy!) and sing!





We started out with SingStar 80s, then we got Singstar Pop. I always thought I had an expansive knowledge of music, but I definitely learned some newer pop/alternative songs that I never would have listened to before, on my own free will. Now, when I hear certain songs & groups, like "Panic! At the Disco" and their song "I write sins, not tragedies", I'll listen to it and jam to it because I may have to sing it in a couple of days. Songs that I often listen to, like Alicia Keys' "Fallin" seem 10 times harder to me because I'm being graded on it. Oh yeah, I can jam in the car...but try to follow the bars and get it 100% correct and you'll see what I mean. Who knew Rihanna's "S.O.S." and Natasha Bedingfield's "These Words" would be so fast & difficult to keep up with?? Then, there are the sure fire, easy ones like Hoobastank's "The Reason" (which I LOVE!!) and Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody". Between the 80's and Pop versions of this game, my friend's neighbors should want to evict them from the block, our voices should be permanently hoarse and we should know just about every song word-for-word.




This weekend, we got American Idol's Karaoke Revolution. It doesn't have the video feature which I love about Singstar--while you sing, they play the actual video of the song in the background of the lyrics. AIKR is more of a cartoon concert performance in which you can compete in front of judges or not, you can choose your performance venue, dress your character--almost like the Sims. It's alot of fun, too... the songs are not directly from the artist (someone is singing the song in the likeness of the artists), but it's still alot of fun. There's a wide variety of songs and some good up-to-date tracks to choose from.

So, it may sound corny, but hell, it's aLOT of fun. Get some alcohol flowing and let the competition begin, cause believe me...you DO manage to get extra cunty and competitive during the game. Just wait until we get another AIKR microphone!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Gurl how come we played both of these games on Superbowl Sunday at my Brother's Superbowl Party? Those of us who weren't into football but came for the food played these. We had 80's songs.

My team (the red team) loss on "Sing Star", although I did pretty well on "Our House", "Material Girl", "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go " and "Time After Time".

For American Idol, I did "Straight Up" on the audition and got the glow. lol I guess anybody can sound good on a Paula Abdul song. I reached Diamond Status on the big stage when I did "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson, and Simon said I had the best performance of the night, you know it only could be a game because he would have really tore me down off of my real singing ability. lol

This is so fun though.

Next time I see you, we've got to play these. I'll borrow them from my brother.

LibraGurl said...

OMG, how funny!! Aren't they fun? Be spendin' all night singing and carryin on! Yesss, that would be so much fun--I'm glad somebody's feeling my excitement on these, LOL!!

Anonymous said...

A Braver woman than myself.... I just don't have the balls to sing in any sort of semi public, graded competitive way

LibraGurl said...

Q--


Not even after drinking??

Although, I probably couldn't do it in a bar or anything...at least I haven't tried.

Anonymous said...

Nah man I only sing in the car and when I'm absolutely alone