Sunday, December 04, 2005

R.I.P. Ivy Janai Reeves






I lost my good friend from elementary school last week.

She & I have been friends since the 3rd grade and continued to be friends through middle school, and half of high school. The other half, we had different networks, different circles of friends, but we were still friends...just grew closer to others. We both went to college together, though, both still stayed in the same neighborhood after school, etc.

Last year, she was diagnosed with lymphoma. She had been in & out of the hospital for chemotherapy treatments, but this most recent one gave quite a blow to her immune system. All systems were failing, her kidneys were failing, etc. I went to see her last saturday and the hard reality that I may lose my sister had hit me. We were both only children and were around each other so much when we were little, we were basically sisters. Her parents took me with them on trips, and vice versa with my mom.

Well, last Sunday, she passed away. This past week has been the most difficult, long week. I went to her viewing this evening, which was mind blowing...she looked nothing like herself. There were so many friends from school that I hadn't seen in a long time. It was bittersweet... it was good to see everybody, but just not on these kind of circumstances. It's so unbelievable and still hard to grasp the fact that we're losing our peer at such a young age. We haven't even had our 10 yr high school reunion yet. (it's in 06)

Tomorrow is the family hour/funeral.

No comments: